Chocolate and Your Dog are a Dangerous Mixture

Why Man's Best Friend Shouldn't Eat Man's Favorite Sweet

Chocolate and your dog 's appetite can be a lethal combination. Many pet owners love their dogs so much that when they see them begging for a piece of that Hershey's bar or a slice of decadent chocolate cake, they give in and share with their best friend.

What many of those well-meaning pet lovers don't realize is that chocolate can be fatal to dogs.

Theobromine, a chemical in cocoa that causes it to taste bitter, has caused many dogs to become sick and even to die. While the chemical poses no danger to humans, dogs are more sensitive to the chemical which has been known to over-stimulate their cardiac and nervous symptoms.

The amount of chocolate it takes to make a dog sick varies depending on the size of the dog and the form of the chocolate.

Smaller dogs and puppies have a higher risk of becoming seriously ill from chocolate consumption than do larger ones, for example. Because different forms of chocolate contain more or less theobromine, dogs may not get sick from drinking chocolate milk or eating chocolate mousse but may become seriously ill after eating a single chocolate candy bar.

If we love our dogs as much as we love our chocolate, then the next time they are begging for a Tootsie roll we should just say no.

Categories