Chocolate Covered Chicken? A Recipe for Chicken Mole
How to make the perfect sauce for Chicken Mole.
Chicken and chocolate might not sound like the likeliest combination, but chicken mole marries these two unlikely foods together and the result is culinary heaven. Chicken mole (pronounced moe-lay) is a traditional Mexican dish that mixes exotic spices with a hint of chocolate before cooking it with chicken. One taste of this delicious dish and you’ll be shouting olé for mole!
6 chicken breasts
4 tbsp. olive oil
1/4 cup raisins
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 chopped onion
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 chopped green pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
3 slices of chopped pimento or red pepper
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. sugar
2 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
rind of 1 grated orange
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate squares, chopped
2 tsp. chili powder (or to taste)
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
The Chicken Mole Recipe
1. In a casserole dish, heat the oil and cook the garlic for a few minutes; then add the chicken and brown.
2. Remove the chicken and in the remaining fat, cook the onion, green pepper, pimento, and tomato over low heat for 10 minutes.
3. Add the chili powder, blending it in well. Use less chili powder or omit if you don’t like spicy foods.
4. Add the broth, almonds, raisins, seasonings, and orange rind. Simmer this, covered, for about 30 minutes.
5. Add the chocolate to the mixture, stirring until melted.
6. Return the chicken to the casserole, spooning sauce over.
7. Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until the chicken is tender.
Serve your chicken mole with some chopped cilantro on top and some buttered egg noodles on the side.